This picturesque cycle take you from Paxton to The Causeway at Holy Island via the Union Chain Bridge and the village of Ancroft. The journey takes you over the River Tweed, through beautiful countryside and has a stunning view of the sea. It is about 17.3 miles and will take approximately 1hr 25 minutes. Don't forget to leave time for the return journey and tide permitting, a trip onto Island Island with a visit to Lindisfarne Priory and and the castle. A stop at St Anne's church, a peaceful Norman church in Ancroft is also well recommended. If you wish to go onto the island check the tide times carefully.
1. From Paxton village turn right onto the B6461 towards Kelso passing Paxton House. Continue along this road for a while before turning left towards the Chain Bridge Honey Farm, signposted to Horncliffe and Tweedhill. After a while the road descends the hill towards the River Tweed.
|Union Chain Bridge|
|Union Chain Bridge|
|River Tweed From The Union Chain Bridge|
2. Cycle across the Union Chain Bridge into Northumberland, Turn right at the end to ascend the hill past the honey farm. Stop at the top to admire the wonderful view of the River Tweed and the bridge. Continue along this road, passing a large house on the right before turning right at the junction towards Horncliffe and Norham. At the end of this road turn left (white houses on your left), through the remains of a disused railway bridge before turning right onto the A698.
|River Tweed And The Union Chain Bridge|
3. After a short while take the first turning on the left towards Shoreswood and Thornton. Continue along this road, do not turn right but follow the road through Thornton, passing a farm and some houses. Take a turning on the right, signposted to Shoreswood and Ancroft and proceed uphill before reaching a junction, Turn right and continue, passing Shoreswood on the right before reaching West Allerdean.
4. Proceed straight ahead over a staggered junction and continue along this country lane for about 2.5 miles before arriving at the village of Ancroft. Turn right at the junction onto the B6525 towards Wooler. After a short while you will see a sign to the old Norman church on the left which is well worth a visit.
|St Anne's Church, Ancroft|
5. After the church continue on the B6525 and take a left hand turning signposted to Haggerston. At the end of this road turn right towards Lowick. Continue along this peaceful lane for quite a while before going downhill and past Lowick Mill. At the end of this road turn right and then immediately left in the direction of Kentstone and Beal. Continue along this road, passing a farm and up a steep hill before reaching the A1. At the top are wonderful views across fields to the sea.
6. Cross over the A1 and continue straight ahead toward Beal and Holy Island. This road will take you over the railway line before approaching The Causeway.
|The Causeway At High Tide|
If you wish to visit the Island it is about 2 miles across the causeway with wonderful views across the sea to Bamburgh Castle.
|Church Of St Mary The Virgin|
7. Retrace your steps and return back to Paxton via the Ancroft and the Chain Bridge.