Following his death, St Finian, another Irish Monk who also trained at Iona Abbey became the second bishop until 661. During his time on Lindisfarne a timber church with a thatched roof was constructed. The thatch was later removed and both walls and roof covered in lead. Lindisfarne became the base for Christian evangelism in the north of England and monks from Iona continue to settle on the Island.
St Cuthbert was a prior on Lindisfarne from 665 until he became bishop in 684. In 686 he returned to retirement on Inner Farne island where he remained until he died in 687. He was buried on Lindisfarne, although at a later date his remains were resettled in Durham Cathedral.
In 793 the island was raided by the Vikings but remained free from further raids until the 9th century when the Danes invaded the country. The first Danish raids were in Kent but quickly moved further North. In 873 the Danish army had moved into Northumberland and in 875 the monks fled the Island taking St Cuthbert's bones with them.
In 1093 the Priory was re-established as a Benedictine House until its suppression under Henry VIII in 1536. The remains of this later priory remain today. The original priory is where the parish church sits today.
|The Church Of St Mary The Virgin|
Other Priories Nearby