This beautiful walk along the banks of the bubbling Carey Burn to the Carey Burn Waterfall and back is about 2 miles and will take about 40 minutes each way. Allow yourself time to stop at the waterfall, picnicking or paddling in the tranquil pool. Although most of the walk is along a flat path as you approach the waterfall the path climbs uphill a little, walking across area of rock and scree.
From the A697 at Wooler follow the signs to the town centre. Turn left at the junction by the Co-op and then take the next right turn. This small road will take you out of the town. Follow the road until you reach a turning on the right to Earle. Take this turning and continue through the small village of Earle. Further along this road, just past a B & B is a right turning signposted to Langleeford and the Harthope Valley. This is a narrow roads that takes you uphill, past a farm at the top and then down a very steep hill into the valley below. Just after the road flattens out and before the Carey Burn Bridge ahead is a parking area on the right.
1. Walk to the bridge but do not cross. Just before the bridge on the right is a footpath sign. Pass through the gate and onto the footpath ahead. You will follow the Burn on your left.
|Carey Burn Bridge|
|A Good Place To Sit By The Burn|
2. Continue along the path and up a small rocky incline. At the top the path bears to the left joining a track. As you continue along this path it will begin to become narrower and the valley will become steeper. In late summer the purple heather along the side of the path his striking. The Burn will still be on your left.
3. The hill to your right now starts to become rocky and the path narrows as you proceed along the side of the hill. In places the path becomes scree with a drop down towards the burn below, it is passable but take care.
|Approaching the Waterfall|
4. A little further and you have reached the waterfall. It is possible to climb down the rocks to the pool at the bottom but take care as it can be slippery.
|Pool At The Bottom Of The Waterfall|
|Carey Burn Waterfall|
5. Walk a little further along and you will find a good spot to sit and have lunch. If you wish to continue further the path follows the burn upstream to join other paths across the hills.
|The Path Continues|
6.Retrace your steps back to the bridge keeping the burn on your right.