1. Leave Paxton heading towards Hutton, passing the village hall on you left. Just past Clarabads farm turn right towards Foulden. This will take you downhill and over the pretty Whiteadder Water before ascending a steep hill on the way to Foulden. The road continues past Cozy Catz cattery on the right before reaching the junction with the A6105.
2. Take the road straight ahead to Ayton. This road takes you up some long hills before finally reaching the top where you will be rewarded with views across the countryside to Ayton Castle and the sea beyond. Proceed along this road before arriving at a T junction. Turn right towards Ayton, passing under a railway bridge before arriving at another T junction where you will see Ayton church directly ahead of you.
3. Turn left at the junction and you will enter the village of Ayton, passing Ayton Castle on the right.
4. On leaving the village retrace your steps back to the church. Turn right opposite the church and then immediately left towards Lamberton. Proceed up this long hill, with occasional glimpses of the sea on your left before taking a turning on the right towards Mordington. You will now start to head downhill eventually entering the small linear village of Mordington before reaching the junction with the A6105 at the bottom.
5. Turn right at the junction to cross the border and back into the village of Foulden. Stop at the view point beside the village green on your left where on a clear day you will be rewarded with a breathtaking view past Berwick-Upon-Tweed to both Holy Island and Bamburgh Castle in the distance.
6. Continue along the main road for a short distance before taking a left turn towards Hutton and Paxton. You will now retrace your steps past Cozy Catz cattery, down the hill, across the bridge and up the steep hill opposite. Keep going along this road until you reach a T junction. Turn left and continue back to Paxton, past Clarabads Farm and eventually down the hill and back into the village arriving at the Cross Inn on your left.