1. From Paxton village turn right onto the B6461 towards Kelso passing Paxton House. Continue along this road for a while before turning left towards the Chain Bridge Honey Farm, signposted to Horncliffe and Tweedhill. After a while the road descends the hill towards the River Tweed.
|Union Chain Bridge|
|River Tweed From The Union Chain Bridge|
|River Tweed And The Union Chain Bridge|
3. After a short while take the first turning on the left towards Shoreswood and Thornton. Continue along this road until you reach a right hand turn (looks like a fork). Take this turning and carry on along this long road before reaching a junction. turn left towards West Allerdean and Ancroft.
4. Continue along this road, passing Shoreswood on the right before arriving at West Allerdean. Proceed straight across at the staggered junction and continue along this country lane for about 2.5 miles before arriving at the village of Ancroft. Turn right at the junction onto the B6525 towards Wooler. After a short while you will see a sign to the old Norman church on the left which is well worth a visit.
|St Anne's Church, Ancroft|
5. After the church continue on the B6525 and take a left hand turning signposted to Haggerston. At the end of this road turn left in the direction of Berwick-Upon-Tweed and continue until you reach the A1. To cross this busy road it is advisable to dismount and walk. Turn left and walk along the grass verge before crossing the road. Once across take the road on the right towards, Cheswick and Goswick.
6. Proceed down this road through the village of Cheswick. Take the second turning on the left towards a farm and some cottages (not signposted). Continue along this road over a humpbacked bridge before reaching a small parking area and the sand dunes of Cheswick beach ahead. To access this wonderful beach climb the dunes and down to the beach.
7. Retrace your step from the car park past the cottages and farm before turning right at the junction. Take the next right and continue along this road until you reach the A1. Do not cross the road immediately but turn right and cycle along the tarmac path, crossing when it ends and continuing on the path on the opposite side of the road before take a turning on the left towards Oxford. At the end of this road turn left opposite a farm shop rejoining the B6525 back to Ancroft.
8. On reaching Ancroft turn right towards West Allerdean and retrace your steps back to Paxton via the Chain Bridge.