|Abbey St Bathans|
The Kirk of Lammermuir sits peacefully by the river. Although it is no longer used for services it is open to the public. It is believed that in the late 500's St Bathan, a follower of St Columba established a tiny chapel near the river. In about 1200 the site was home to a Cistercian priory of 12 nuns, founded by Ada, Countess of Dunbar. The priory consisted of a small church and a few other buildings. Unfortunately it was largely destroyed by English troops in 1543 and after the Reformation much of the remains of the buildings were used for village buildings and field walls. However, the priory church was repaired in the 17th century and became the parish church.
|Kirk Of Lammermuir|
|Kirk of Lammermuir|
Abbey St Bathans is a delightful little village tucked away in the river valley. It is a quiet reflective place to sit or stroll by the river listening to the birds and watching the odd horse and rider trott down to the river.