Sunday, July 15, 2018

Twizel Bridge

Twizel Bridge
Twizel Bridge is a stone bridge crossing the River Till close to the Scottish border. It is situated beside the A698 between Berwick-upon-Tweed and Cornhill-on-Tweed.  Until 1983 it was part of the A698 but is now no longer open to vehicles and is used by pedestrians only.

The bridge is a grade 1 listed building and sits just below Twizel Castle. It was built in 1511 and was the only bridge to cross the River Till between the River Tweed and Etal. In 1513 the bridge played a part in the Battle of Flodden carrying the english artillery train across the bridge to confront the invading Scottish army of King James IV, who was camped at Flodden Hill. In 1770 and 1820 small alterations were made to the bridge and it remained part of the main road from Hawick to Berwick-upon-Tweed until a new bridge was built in 1983.

The bridge is about 4.8 miles from Cornhill-on-Tweed. As you cross over the River Till Twizel Bridge is on the left. Park in the lay-by on the left and walk across the bridge and over the river, taking in the serenity of its position.



Twizel Bridge




River Tweed

No comments:

Post a Comment