The original dwellers in the area near Lewes were from prehistoric times. Roman artefacts discovered in the area suggest that this was where the Roman settlement of Mutuantonis was. The Saxons built a castle and gave the town its name.
Following the Norman Conquest William the Conqueror rewarded William de Warenne, 1st Earl of Surrey a swathe of and along the River Ouse which included the town of Lewes. William built a castle on the Saxon site and founded the Priory of St Pancras. In 1264 the town was the site of the Battle of Lewes when forces of Henry III and Simon de Montfort fought in the second Barons War.
During the 17th and 18th centuries the town flourished with an active port and shipbuilding plus a brewing industry and became the county town of Sussex.
|View from the Castle|
|Anne of Cleeves House|