Settlements have existed in the area dating back to the Bronze Age, Roman and Anglo-Saxon periods. The first mention of the ancient settlement of Bristelmestune was in the 11th century when it was recorded in the Domesday Book. Between the 14th and 18th centuries the town became known as Brighthelmstone, eventually in 1660 becoming shortened to Brighton. Although Brighton became the popular name for the town Brighthemstone remained it's official name until 1810. It is thought that the name is of Anglo-Saxon origin, deriving from Beorthelm+tu, (the homestead of Beorthelm).
The first settlement in the area dating back to between 3500 BC and 2700 BC was Whitehawk Camp, a Neotlithic encampment on Whithawk Hill. A Bronze Age camp also existed in the area followed by a Brythonic Celtic settlement in the 7th century BC and a 2nd or 3rd century BC Iron Age encampment. During the period of the Roman occupation from the 1st to the 4th centuries the area grew in size and importance.
In the late 5th century AD the area was invaded by the Anglo-Saxons and the fishing and agricultural settlement of Bristelmestune was founded. The village grew in size and by the 14th century had a parish church and a market. In the early 16th century the town was sacked and burned by French invaders but recovered, developing a thriving mackerel -fishing industry. The town continued to flourish and expand and by the middle of the 17th century was Sussex's largest and most important town. Unfortunately the decline in the fishing industry, constant foreign attacks and competition from nearby Shoreman led to a sad decline in the towns fortunes.
From the 1730's the town developed and once again grew in importance. During the Georgian period Brighton became a fashionable seaside resort. The Royal Pavilion was built in the Regency era and the town's popularity continued to grow. The railway arrived and during the Victorian era both the West Pier and Brighton Palace pier were built. Tourism steadily grew and Brighton became a popular destination for holiday makers and day trippers. This bustling city by the sea is packed full of things to see and places to visit .
The Royal Pavilion was built in 1787 for George, the Prince of Wales as a seaside retreat. It was built in the Indo-Saracenic style and extended in 1815. In 1850 Queen Victoria sold the Pavilion to the town and in 1860 the stables were converted into a concert hall. During World War I the Pavilion was used as a hospital for Indian soldiers, becoming damaged and neglected. In 1920 restoration work began which continues until the present day. The Pavilion is now a popular tourist attraction and a delight to visit.