Lewes Priory is situated in the county town of Lewes in East Sussex. The priory was founded between 1078 and 1082 by William de Warenne and his wife Gundrada. The priory, dedicated to St Pancras was built on the site of a Saxon church, also dedicated to St Pancras. The priory belonged to the reformed Benedictine Order of Cluny, based in France and became one of the wealthiest monasteries in England. In 1264 during the Battle of Lewes the priory was occupied by the troops of King Henry III.In 1537 the monastery was dissolved and demolished. Only a small portion remains today.