|Jedburgh Abbey Overlooking The Jed Water|
The town is home to the ruinous Jedburgh Abbey and in 1566 Mary Queen of Scots stayed in a house in the town that has now become a museum. Jedburgh Castle was built in the 12th century and was fought over many times during the Wars of Scottish Independence. Unfortunately, although it was occasionally used as a Scottish royal residence the castle was demolished by the Scots in 1409. In 1823 a jail was built on the site of the old castle. This closed in 1868 but has been restored to its original appearance and is now open to the pubic as Jedburgh Castle Jail and Museum.
Jedburgh AbbeyJedburgh Abbey was founded by King David I in 1138. It was originally both a priory and monastery and was home to a group Augustinian Canons until the 16th century. The abbey had a torrid time during the Wars of Scottish Independence and suffered many raids and attacks. These continued throughout the following centuries as the abbey slowly fell into disrepair. By the time of the Reformation in 1560 the abbey was in a poor state and was allowed to fall into disrepair. The church was used as a parish church until 1871 although some repairs were carried out in the late 1800's the abbey and church were never used again.
Mary Queen of Scots House
The museum is devoted to the life and death of Mary with many interesting displays and memorabilia. Of particular interest is Mary's death mask and a copy of the Execution Warrant.
Jedburgh Castle Jail Museum
Jedburgh Castle Jail was built in 1823 on the site on the old castle which was demolished in 1409. Although modified in 1847 it was closed permanently in 1868. In 1968 the building was restored and opened to the public as a museum. In addition to the museum in the old jailers house the original cell blocks are open to the public providing a fascinating insight into life in an 1820s prison.