Jedburgh Abbey is situated on the edge of the town of Jedburgh in the Scottish Borders. The substantial remains of this once grand abbey sit proudly overlooking the river and guarding the town.
Four great abbeys were established in the Scottish Borders in the 1100's, Jedburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey, Kelso Abbey and Dryburgh Abbey. Unfortunately all these suffered severe damage during the many conflicts during the Scottish Wars of Independence and into the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1297 as retribution for the defeat of the Earl of Surrey at Stirling Jedburgh Abbey was pillaged and wrecked by the English, who attacked again in 1346. Although in 1370 the north transept was completed in 1410, 1416 and 1464 the abbey suffered repeated attacks. In 1523 both the town and abbey were set ablaze and in 1544 the abbey was attacked yet again.
Subsequently the abbey started to fall into disrepair and by the time of the Reformation in 1560 there were only a handful of cannons remaining. The abbey church was used as the parish church until 1871 when a new church was built. During this time the rest of the abbey fell into ruin. Although in the late 1800's some restoration to the church was carried out it was never used again.
|The Nave From The East|
|Tomb At The East End Of The Church|