Sunday, 5 August 2018

Auchencrow


Auchencrow Village
Auchencrow is a small village in the Scottish Borders, sitting at the foot of the Lammermuir Hills and about 3 miles from the village of Reston on the B6437 and 4.5 miles from EyemouthAuchencrow has a small village centre and a local pub, "The Craw Inn"

Although the origins of the village and it's name are unclear, in 1210 the village was referred to as Aldenegraue. By the end of the 13th century it had become Aldencraw, Adincraw by the end of the 17th century, Auchincraw by 1771 and eventually in 1860 became know by its current name.  

To the south of  the village is the site of Billie Castle which was burnt in May 1544 during the war of the "Rough Wooing". In January 1548 the castle was captured and garrisoned by English soldiers. Only very minimal remains are visible today.

The Craw Inn
The Craw Inn was a former coaching inn, built in the early 18th century and retaining its original quaint an cosy charm. 



No comments:

Post a comment