Wednesday, 27 March 2019

Westham


Westham Pond

The village of Westham in East Sussex lies adjacent to the village of Pevensey and about 5 miles from the seaside town of Eastbourne.  It's name is derived from being a hamlet to the west of Pevensey Castle and is recorded in the Domesday Book. Pevensey and Westham, the village train station is served by regular trains between Brighton and Hastings to Ashford. 

Beside the Tudor houses stretching  along the high street from the castle sits the Church of St Mary the Virgin which is thought to be the first Norman church in England. The tranquil Westham Pond sits off the High Street and is home to swans and a variety of ducks. Peelings Lane, a footpath not far from the pond leads to Stone Cross and its historic windmill.

The name Westham originates from Saxon days meaning a hamlet to the west of Pevensey Castle. The village's history is tied in with the castle and the neighbouring village of Pevensey.  The main village was formed on a small hill on the west side of the castle and was the main source of food and fuel for the castle. Records have indicated that there was a hospital of St Cross near or attached to the church in 1292 and after 1354 a hospital dedicated to St John the Baptist has been mentioned several times.

High Street
Westham Pond

St Mary The Virgin Church
This ancient flint church dates back to approximately 1080 and is thought to be the first Norman Church in England. Alterations were made during the 14th and 15th centuries and in 1877 restoration work was carried out


St Mary The Virgin Church

No comments:

Post a comment