Saturday, March 30, 2019

Brighton Royal Pavilion

Brighton Pavilion

The Royal Pavilion is a magnificent palace in the City of Brighton, East Sussex. The Pavilion was built in 1787 for George, the Prince of Wales as a seaside retreat. The Pavilion was built in the Indo-Saracenic style and extended in 1815. In 1850 Queen Victoria sold the Pavilion to the town and in 1860 the stables were converted into a concert hall. The Pavilion is now a popular tourist attraction and a delight to visit. 

In the mid 1780's George, on the advice of this physicians rented a small lodging house overlooking the sea. The life in Brighton suited George so much that he hired the architect Henry Holland to transform his lodging house into a modest villa, which became known as the Marine Pavilion. In 811 when George became Prince Regent he realised that the Marine Pavilion was not suitable for his style of lavish entertaining. In 1815 he commissioned John Nash to transform the villa into a magnificent oriental palace. George became King  in 1820 and the palace was eventually completed in 1823. Unfortunately he made only two more visits to the Pavilion before his death in 1830.

After the death of George IV  his younger brother William IV and his wife continued to stay at the Pavilion, building more rooms to accommodate their extensive household. William died in 1837 and was succeeded by his niece Victoria. Although Queen Victoria stayed at the Place it did not suit the needs of her and her family and in 1850 she sold the Pavilion to the town. Within a year the Pavilion was open to the public. In 1860 the stables were converted to a concert hall which is now known at the popular Brighton Dome. 

During World War I the Pavilion was used as a hospital for Indian soldiers, becoming damaged and neglected. In 1920 restoration work began which continues until the present day. 


Royal Pavilion
Royal Pavilion
Royal Pavilion

https://brightonmuseums.org.uk/royalpavilion/




No comments:

Post a Comment