Ambleside is a small town within the Lake District National Park in Cumbria.l This pretty town is situated at the head of Lake Windermere and is a popular base for hiking, mountaineering or mountain biking. The town is well populated with hotels, guest houses, restaurants and shops and is the perfect place to start exploring the lakes and mountains.
The nearby village of Rydal was home to William Wordsworth while he worked as Distributor of Stamps for Westmoreland in Ambleside. Bridge House is a 300 year old building built over Stick Ghyll and now owned by the National Trust. It was originally built as a summer house and apple store for Ambleside Hall and given to the National Trust in 1926.
The name Ambleside is derived from Old Norse "A-mel-saetr", meaning "river-sandbank-summer pasture. Ambleside's history dates back to at least Roman Times and to the south of the town are the remans if the old Roman fort of Galava, dating form AD79. Traces of Neolithic inhabitants have been found nearby.
In 1650 the town was granted a charter to hold a market and the market place became a centre for the sale of agriculture and wool. Between Ambleside and Grasmere is the old packhorse trail which was originally the only route between the two towns. In 1770 the new turnpike road was opened. During the 19th century the tourist trade started to develop and villas were built to accommodate visitors. Many travellers arrived by steamer while others preferred stagecoach and the town became a coaching stop.