The castle was originally a Peel tower built in 1320 and transformed into a Gothic castle between 1818 and 1822. It has been the family home of the Hay family since 1696 and the current owners still live in the castle today. The castle is not open to the public but is a popular venue for weddings and other social events.
The tranquil parkland and nature reserve are open to the public and there are some lovely walks around the grounds, through woodland and around the ponds offering views of the castle. The Hen Poo, a large pond is home to swans and a variety of ducks.
|The Hen Poo|