The Leaderfoot Viaduct, also known as the Drygrange Viaduct is a railway viaduct crossing the River Tweed near Melrose in the Scottish Borders. This magnificent arched viaduct is 126 feet tall, spanning the river below. It was opened in 1863 and carried the Berwickshire Railway over the River Tweed. Unfortunately due to severe damage from flooding the railway closed to passenger trains in 1948 and to freight trains in 1965. It was renovated in the 1990's and although no longer in use it stands proudly over the river. Close to the viaduct is The Drygrange Old Bridge and the new road bridge. The river below the viaduct is a popular spot for Salmon fishing.
Salmon Fishing Below The Viaduct
The viaduct is easily accessible either from the village of Newstead or from a designated parking area off the A68 beside the Drygrange Old Bridge. It is a magnificent structure and well worth a visit.