The Chain Bridge is a suspension foot bridge crossing the River Tweed from Melrose to the village of Gattonside in the Scottish Borders. The bridge was opened in 1826 for pedestrians whilst horse drawn vehicles used the ford a little further downstream. The bridge was a toll bridge and several conditions were placed upon the bridge such as, no more than eight people should be on the bridge at one time and it was an offence to make the bridge swing. Major repairs were carried out in 1991but the bridge no longer swings.
The bridge is a short distance from the centre of Melrose and not far from Melrose Abbey. It is a tranquil place to relax and enjoy the river winding its way under the bridge whilst admiring the fabulous views of the Eildon Hills.