The ruins of Dunbar Castle are situated on the coast at the northern end of the town of Dunbar in East Lothian and are easily reached by rail by road. Dunbar is about 22 minutes from Berwick-Upon-Tweed by train or 30 minutes by road via the A1.
Although a stronghold existed in Dunbar from at least the ninth century the ruins of Dunbar Castle date from the twelfth century The red stone castle was built by the Earl Gospatric and was one of the strongest fortresses in Scotland. It was built overlooking the town and the sea and although it suffered may sieges the castle never succumbed and remaining standing until 1568.
In 1567 the Parliament of Scotland ordered the castle to be deliberately destroyed, Little remains of the castle today and although inaccessible the ruins stand proudly above the harbour.