Kelso Bridge is a road bridge crossing the River Tweed in the market town of Kelso. The original bridge was built to replace a ferry running across the river and was opened in 1754. Unfortunately in 1756 six people were killed when an arch collapsed and although repairs were undertaken a storm in 1797 caused such severe damage to the foundations that the bridge collapsed into the river the following day. The current bridge also known as Rennie's Bridge was built between 1800 and 1803. In 1923 it was repointed and in the1980's further repairs were undertaken.